Level of Difficulty: CP
This class is designed to give students an introduction to the study of drama. The class has a large focus on acting but will also deal with other areas of the discipline. Students will work alone and in pairs to present pantomimes and improvised monologues and scenes. They will also use scripts to prepare for presented monologues. Students will develop a general understanding of how voice and movement are important to developing a character. Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
1. Present a believable character in the form of a monologue.
2. Define acting, stage and voice terms
3. Demonstrate improvisation skills and techniques.
The acting focus of this section is on scene study. Students will work in pairs and groups presenting improvised scenes and working with play scripts to prepare for scene presentation. The class will give students some insight into directing, technical theater and review writing. Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Present believable characters while relating to and reacting to others on stage.
2. Demonstrate blocking and directing techniques.
3. Write a critical analysis of a written play and a performance of a play.
4. Define technical theatre terms.
Irvine High School Theatre Arts Department
4321 Walnut Ave,
Irvine, CA 92604
Director: Kyle Chittenden